Sunday, May 8, 2011

In the "Ready Stance"!

Ok, lets not hold our breath on this, but I think I might just be getting better about posting on this thing regularly! Better than any diary I ever had, anyway. I was never very good about updating those.


I have been doing research on my career. I was headed the direction of technical writing for a long while, because it seemed like something I would like to do. Technical writers normally have a second degree in some sort of science though. So, since I don't plan on going back to school right away, I think that will be a plan B. Lately, I have been looking at editing more closely. I really enjoy the premise of the job and the places I have looked at claim that there is a higher need for editors because of all the different places they can be used (publishing houses, anywhere that handles legal documents, law firms, etc). I just have to look into what sort of places are currently looking for editors, to see if I can get a good idea of what location I should be headed to.

As of late I have been becoming more and more excited about the future, and seeing it as a little less daunting. I used to have the feeling of "oh no, I have to grow up sometime soon and figure out what I want to do with my life. It's time to put on my big girl panties." But really, I have been becoming more and more excited about doing things for myself. Before, I hated having to work. Now, I will work two jobs if I have to in order to save up the amount I need in order to make a down payment on a car. This way, I can set up more for my future. I am taking more initiative with my scheduling, money spending/saving, and time usage.

In short, I am feeling a lot better about having to step out into the "real world" in a year. I am determined to not let it knock me off my feet.

I named this entry "In the 'Ready Stance'!" because I thought about how when I played softball, I would get stuck in the outfield. They always taught use to be in the Ready Stance so that we could run whichever way we needed to in order to catch the ball that came flying at us. I kind of feel like that is what my mental state has been like lately. I am ready to run whichever direction I need to in order to handle the curve balls life can sometimes throw at you.

(Legs forward. Knees shoulder width apart. On the balls of your feet.  Torso slightly forward. Catching hand ready. The other hand provides balance.)

Are you in the Ready Stance?

~Bridget Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment