Thursday, June 23, 2011

Settling In

It's been a while since we moved, and there has been a lot going on. For one, I got two jobs. They have both been pretty interesting in their own ways. I have been working on my novel quite a bit and making a ton of progress. Yay! Ok, so I am tackling some of these thoughts individually.

Job #1 is with a restaurant not even two minutes driving distance from our house. It's called Eddie Ryans, and its a small privately owned place that is Irish themed. Its got all the classics from fish fries to pot roasts and everything inside it is green. Except from our uniforms. They are white with this weird little washed out blue stripe thing down the side... they kinda look like bowling shirts. Anyway. I for the most part have been working breakfasts there on the weekends because they only need one person on and I don't mind handling the slower shifts. Occasionally I also get an evening shift or two, but I have found that I prefer breakfast. It's been stressful at times because I have never been a sever before and they tend to throw people into situations without really preparing them. We had a meeting not too long ago because he didn't like how the servers were doing, but half of us were new and never properly trained. So, that was pretty interesting. Also, there is a minimal staff there so asking off is close to impossible.

Job #2 is with McDonalds. I gotta say, they have the most unflattering uniforms there. Not only does your butt look like it sags down to your ankles, but they make you wear hats. I don't think I have ever looked good in hats. Uniforms aside though, I like the way McDonalds trains. Its boring to begin with. They have you watch a bunch of videos on a computer screen and take little tests to make sure you got through everything. Then, they have you work in your area, basically shadowing someone. This is after you get a thorough tour of the building. Then, you work at your station with someone following you, to make sure that you're doing thing correctly and can answer questions that come up. Its pretty fast paced so your shifts never seem to last very long, which I like, because I don't want to feel like I am spending the entire day at work.

I am not sure which one I really like more because there are perks to each. But, I have realized that I am not going to get my car anytime soon. There just isn't any way that I am going to be able to save up enough in time, unless I manage to score an awesome job while I am at school. I am hoping to save up, but I don't know when I will actually have enough for the down payment plus all the extra stuff like insurance and payments. I am going to be looking into used cars but the same thing will probably apply for a while.

In a different area of life, I have been working on Savannah like there is no tomorrow. I printed out a hard copy of it. I managed to run out of black ink in the process, so I had to switch to blue ink part way through. (Doesn't matter much since no one else besides me will see it, right? ;)  ) I have edited about eighty pages so far and hope to have 100 done by the end of the week. I still have a lot to do to it before I am able to send it in, but I am thinking that process will probably happen during the school year. I will be so excited to see the finished product!

One thing that has been weighing on my mind more and more though has been what I want to do as far as my living situation. So many people have asked me "Will you be coming back here once you are done with schooling?" And I mean the answer for right now is yes, but that is mostly because I already have somewhere to live here. But if I really could do whatever I wanted, I could move somewhere totally new. How open should I be to working in a new area? This would all have to wait until I am a bit more financially stable and have a car (that always helps, right?) but its something to consider. The endless list of possibilities is really becoming more apparent to me as I think about how many different places I could be living in. I gotta keep my eyes open for different type job listings that I would be interested in, because finding the job that I want/need is going to be number one priority. Unless I can get a contract for my writing, of course ;)

And in other news: I have begun to drink coffee on a regular basis. Its pretty ironic that I never did while I was in school, even though college students are supposed to live off coffee. I guess its all the breakfast shifts and needing to be wide awake. And, on top of that, I have only been needing to sleep for about eight hours a day. Technically its all I have ever "needed" to get in one night, but I normally still would feel tired and insist on sleeping longer. Lately though, I can't seem to keep myself asleep for longer than eight, maybe nine hours. Its all good though. I forgot what it was like to have most of the day to yourself. Its pretty good for being productive.

I will end my essay of a post here. Although, you may see some more fiction writings relatively soon, possibly even a poem or two. :)

~Bridget Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment