Friday, June 24, 2011

Our CD

I walked into the studio and welcomed the goosebumps when the air conditioning gave me a chill. I would need the cool air once I got done in here. I walked over to the stereo and put in our CD.

The first song was slow and sang about taking the leap that we were all scared to lose. I sat on the floor and stretched as I wondered how long I was going to feel that way. I could feel my muscles fighting the movement and the cold floor, but through free will I made them lay flat on the cold service in order to be shaped and molded.

The next song had a fast pace. He sang about confusion and needing to get it right, not having the words to say. I jumped and leaped and flew until my knees limbered. I didn't need to have words when I was in my studio. I moved my body and watched my message in the mirror.

The next was the song that we danced to the night we met. This song would forever be known as the red dress song.

I put on my tap shoes and found my way to the floor just in time for our favorite rock song. I loved the satisfying feeling of the metal hitting the ground and being able to produce any sound you wanted. I stomped and flitted to the beat.

The next song always made me slow down. I switched out my shoes and put on my lyrical shoes. They were so worn that it would be time for new ones soon. As I reached and twirled and contorted myself in ways that I couldn't keep up with, I got lost in the music. That's when I heard the door open.

You walked in with a single flower. I stopped instantly and ran to the stereo to turn it off.

"Were you just dancing to our CD?" you smirked and you slowly moved closer to me.

I felt my face getting hot. "You caught me," I managed as I tried to catch my breath.

"How often do you do this?" you asked me as you stopped one foot away from me.

"I have been doing it every day... for the past year." I couldn't stand to look at you so I walked toward my bag to grab my bottle of water. When I stood up again you were right behind me.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you look when you lose yourself in your dancing?" Before I had the chance to say anything or protest, you handed me the flower. I looked at it and realized it was a lily. I looked back up at you. "I hadn't forgotten that lilies were your favorite, and I certainly didn't forget your promise to me. You told  me you needed a year to yourself. You might have been hoping I would walk away, but I am not giving up on you that easy."

You pulled me closer to you and before I fully understood what we were doing, I looked in the mirror and saw we were slow dancing. Never in my life had I felt such confusion, happiness, and... closure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Bridget Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment